Sunday 27 October 2019

Getting the GIS-t of It All

The past two weeks have certainly gotten the best of my time. The Digital Public History group project had given me more opportunities to re-familiarize myself with my love-hate relationship with microfilm. The recording process for the group project also gave me the chance to step back into the wonderful world of audio recording. My RA work placement had me more anxious and nervous than my first day on Western's campus, but in an extremely good way. Finally, I was officially introduced to GIS mapping, and the vast number of uses for it.

The process of Historical GIS mapping is incredibly appealing to me. Firstly when looking at the previous projects of past students I had some initial ideas of what I may want to work on for my final project, or simply a project for the future. I had the idea of tracking the growth and change of the downtown core of my hometown of Glace Bay since its creation in 1901. Gathering maps and photos of the growth of the town during the rise of coal, and pairing it with stories from the town and its people. The downtown of Glace Bay is primarily situated on Commercial Street, and that street is filled with historical businesses and stories. Teenagers shooting the drag, Toby's and Ein's clothing store, and even the jello tree (a folklore filled tree which was cut down a few years ago). The other project that came to mind was providing a map of the coal mines across Cape Breton, a concise map with photos and stories about the towns that existed because of them. I personally have been able to find a great workable map with all of the locations for the coal mines, which luckily are all numbered. The Dominion Coal Company gave their collieries a number and that is how they were identified, and communities around Glace Bay are still referred to as being No. 2, or No. 11 for example. I think GIS and what we had been shown with ArcGIS is exciting, and maybe one of these ideas will be something I attempt for my final project.



Another major part of my past two weeks was researching for and gathering information on my stop for the walking tour we are doing for our group project in Digital Public History. The stop I was initially given seemed to overlap with other stops along the tour, so it had to be changed. Luckily I had not gotten too far down the rabbit hole in research for my stop when I was asked if I'd be comfortable changing it, which I was. The new stop actually seemed more in my wheel house anyway, and I'm more than willing to do what it takes when working on a group project, but I had plenty of time to research and refocus my stop for the project. In researching my stop, like many in the class, I was spending a fair amount of time in the downtown central library in the London Room. It is a great space that is welcoming and quiet, but not in a weird unsettling way, if that makes any sense at all. Also, their microfilm room is perfect. They have multiple microfilm readers and such vast collections on microfilm. However, as I mentioned, I have a love-hate relationship with microfilm. It is an incredible piece of technology that lasts vastly longer than many other forms of media, and the resources that can be stored upon it are legible and can be accessed through other digital means. But, with all that being said, my eyes do not like microfilmed newspaper; starring at a white background with small black text for hours on end gives me not so great migraines. I even have blue-light filter type lens things build into my glasses and they don't really help. Knowing all this, discovering a useful resource in a microfilmed newspaper is exciting; it is something that others have most likely glanced over and never thought to write down. My initial research idea for the stop changed as I was finding great articles, headlines, and photos that fit an idea that I didn't consider before beginning my research.

 After I believe 3 or 4 days of after class, and after work research at the library I needed to get away from technology for a while. I enjoy writing and my research is always typed out in the end, but I am very much an pencil and paper kind of person, and I was sitting at my computer or on my laptop trying to type up my research for a few days and it just wasn't coming to me. I also had an assignment for Understanding Archives that I knew what I wanted to do and say, but for whatever reason it just wasn't happening. Also, I believe that's why I ended up having to write about 2 weeks of classes in this 1 blog post. I needed a chance to reconnect with my writing, for whatever reason I had lost it. So after the library one day, I decided to go to Victoria Park. Since arriving in London I interact with nature less than I usually would (obviously), and I knew that was going to be the case when I was coming here. Before I left Cape Breton I was taking evening runs along the cliff at the end of my road, there are four wheeler paths along it, and I would be running right alongside the ocean. It was my way of unwinding at the end of the day, and I think I just needed to reconnect with nature here in London and get back to the pencil and paper way of writing that fits my brain the best sometimes. I spent an hour and a half in the park on a bench writing, and it was just what I had needed. I was able to write down everything I needed for my assignment for Understanding Archives, like I had said, I knew what I wanted to do for it, but simply didn't have the precise drive I wanted at the time to do it. Also, I was able to go through my handwritten research notes and form a structure to my stop for the walking tour. It gave me a baseline of where I wanted the research to go, and I wrote a few paragraphs sitting on a bench on a great evening in Victoria Park. I later went home that night and typed up the assignment, and typed up my research. So, if I ever hit another brick wall with my writing, I'm just going to go to a park and sit, and relax, and it will eventually come to me.


 Here was my view while I worked


My second contribution for the walking tour group project was with the narration. Myself and Kat both volunteered to provide our voices to the walking tour, and just the other day we did just that. After handing in our research to our project leader Jess, all of our research for each of the 8 stops was sent off to the next level of preparation, and that was creating a concise voice and final script for the narrators to read. Sitting and recording the stops that I had chosen to read for was as usual more difficult than I expected. Back home I'm involved in theatre, and this is something I always do before I begin a new show. I read the script to myself and it seems fine and none of the words stump me, but eventually when it comes time to project my voice louder, or record myself, not only do I stumble over words but they often make me have to sit for a moment and understand why so many people have issues learning English as a second language. However, it is a fun process, and I have never not had a good time providing my voice to something I am invested in. 

My RA placement each week has gotten more and more exciting, to the point where the past week I was more anxious than I have been so far in London. I was going solely providing tours and leading some of the programs that we have set for visiting schools on field trips, and not only that, but the students would be trying out some of the items I had researched and compiled for new programs at the museum. I had 2 groups of kids during the day and each group had 26 kids in them, and they were surprisingly good. The teachers were also very supportive of me being in charge, and would only step in to discipline or to help me organize them into groups. I was able to present history to elementary school students, and to try out different techniques rather than just speaking at or to them. I was also encouraging them asking me as many questions as they had, because if they feel like they can ask questions then maybe they will, and they won't be too shy to ask about something that draws their attention. Having this opportunity to see how different age groups interact with history is important, and I feel like my work at the museum is going to show me a different side of Public History than I had previously known. As a plus, I had the opportunity to spend some brief time in woods surrounding my work and that was another patch on the nature filled hole in my being.



All in all, it was a fairly busy and interesting couple of weeks.

Also, here is a photo I took on one of my runs when I was closer to the harbour when I was back home.
  

1 comment:

  1. It certainly was a busy two weeks! I really like your ideas for the story map! My biggest struggle was coming up with an idea that didn't require either mass transfer of documents from my parents or me going home. It's great that you are able to do something from your hometown, but I can't say I'm not a bit jealous! Also, your RA-ship sounds great! Coming from a background where I am far more comfortable as an interpreter and educator, I too am excited to have a different look at public history by doing more cataloging, preservation, and exhibit design.

    ReplyDelete