Tuesday 5 November 2019

The One From The Prairies

Reading week has just begun, and I could not be happier. I hopped on a flight on Sunday morning and headed out West to visit family. Did not really prepare for snow, but I'm here now and that's great.

I have a plan that I'm sticking to while I'm here which is tackle at least 1 assignment/project a day. I spend a few hours on each on their given day, and I do some general research as well. So far I've gotten the chance to work on the Public History final project for this semester. I've put all of the materials I have for my heritage address together, and have found a couple good online resources. Today, I am going to be preparing for my Understanding Archives presentation that I will have on November 18th.

To my happy surprise I was able to find a map on the resource I will be using to present on, that completely fits with one of the ideas that I want to use for my final project in Digital Public History. It is a map of Glace Bay featuring the various mine locations around the community. Like I had previously mentioned there are little solid resources that I have come across that showcase all of the mines and an approximate location. The greatest resource that I have used a bit in the past is the Louis Frost Notes - https://www.mininghistory.ns.ca/lfrost/lfindex.htm. This website has an "interactive map" that was last updated in 1999, but it is relied upon by many people when researching the mines of Cape Breton. It will be a website that I will be using if I chose to make a map using GIS. Alternatively, I have also been considering creating a story map featuring one or maybe 2 of the major strikes that the coal miners had during the early 20th century. The strikes often began in Glace Bay, and sometimes made their way to two or three communities away gathering more and more miners. But, that is a reading week decision that I will have to decide on.

Last week in Digital Public History we were discussing dark tourism, and there was a dark tourist attraction in Nova Scotia that I had forgotten about until the class was almost over. Nova Scotia, and more importantly Halifax has a major dark tourist attraction that people all over the world travel to N.S. to see. This is especially true since 1997. In Halifax, there are 3 graveyards that have the remains of 150 individuals who died during the sinking of the Titanic. Locally there are tours and attractions that tourists flock to because of Halifax's connection to the famous ship. One of the tours, labeled as "Halifax Titanic Historical Tours", is centralized around the relationship between the Titanic and Halifax. Also ,it provides tourists a look at another dark touristy aspect of Halifax and that is the Halifax Explosion, which was the worst human made explosion before the creation of the atomic bombs. These don't really seem to pair well together, it almost seems like drinking a really great bottle of wine with a plate full of skittles, but to each their own. I think its marketing is more appealing to those seeking a 1 stop shop for Halifax's dark tourist related ship history.

Productivity is what I'm aiming for this week, and I feel like I have plenty of time to take in the awe that is being in the prairies and experiencing the big sky and endless roads and fields. I have a checklist of items that I will be getting to, but that also includes having a bonfire in the backyard so you can't say I'm going to only be working while I'm on my break.

Prairie Daniel signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment